Skip to main content

More Than You Can Bear?

While going through hardship or a trying season of life has anyone ever said to you: “The Bible says that God will never give you more than you can bear.” Fact is, the Bible never says this exactly.

You might be thinking, “Now Steve, I know there has got to be a verse in the Bible that says this, because my grandma used to quote it to me. There’s not, but here’s the verse your grandma was most likely referring to: 1 Corinthians 10:13 – “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”

Let’s take a look at what this verse is actually saying, and not saying.

Many people interpret this passage to mean that God will not let more hardship come into your life than you can handle. Paul says, “…when you are tempted.” None of us can avoid temptation. It says, “when,” not if. The verse says that God will “…provide a way out so you can endure/escape it.”

What is temptation? Temptation is the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. In context, the above verse is saying that God will always provide a way for you to not sin. “No temptation” means NO SIN can overtake you, not no hardship. It’s saying that God will always provide an option for you to choose that does not involve sinning.

What Paul is basically saying is that no Christian ever gets to say, “Yeah, I sinned, but I had no choice.” That’s not true biblically. None of us can ever use the excuse, “Well, the devil made me do it because he was too powerful for me to resist.”

You and I have no idea how many times in our lives that God has held up His hand and protected us from Satan’s attacks. However, God will not let His people take a temptation test that is impossible for them to pass. He will always show us a way out, apart from sinning.

However, there is no way out from suffering, apart from the resurrection. The same apostle that said we never have to disobey, wrote a second letter to the same church (Corinth) and said we might have to live with a certain amount of suffering or despair. 2 Corinthians 1:8 – “We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself.” Ever been there?

So, while not sinning is always an option that God will provide for us, Paul says that not suffering is not always an option on the table, because God has built hardship into the very fabric of life for His own sovereign purposes―purposes which we might not always understand―and none of us can escape it (Job14:1; John 16:33). This is simply the consequence of living in a fallen, sinful, and broken world.

One scholar said concerning David’s psalms: “More than 50% of David’s psalms had the general theme of: ‘I can’t take it anymore.’ God will let us go through times when all we can do is cry out to him. Remember Jonah in the belly of the great fish? A ‘more than you can handle’ season is not an elective course that only some of us have to take. It is a required course, not an elective, that every one of us will be required to enroll in at various times in our lives.”

It’s hard for us to comprehend, but suffering can actually be a gift from God. In the very next verse, Paul writes, “In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead” (2 Corinthians 1:9).

So, why does God give us the gift of “too much to bear”? Why does God give us more than we can handle in our own strength? I believe it’s because He wants to teach us to rely on Him, and we will understand it better by and by. We all need those difficult but faith-building moments in our lives when God says to us, “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10).

You need to know something about me. And you need to know this about me because what is true of me is also true about you. My sinful flesh values self-reliance. I want to “cowboy up” and fix my own problems. I want to believe I can just hunker down and power through anything I have to deal with—in my own strength. But I was created (just like you) to need God. And I am never in more desperate shape than when I forget how desperately I need God. And that’s why “too much” can sometimes be just right. In fact, some of our closest, most intimate times with God will be spent in the valleys of life, not on the mountaintop.

You will never know just how dependent on God you are until every crutch and prop is taken away from you, and God is all you have left to keep you standing. You will never know how strong the grace of God is apart from going through a season of tremendous weakness. Just know that whatever you’ve had to come through has prepared and strengthened you for what God might be calling you to.


Comments

  1. At the present with all my family is going through, once again I receive and recognize that you inspire me. When I pray so hard for strength, again the Lord shows me. Thank you for being you and doing what you do. And inviting me. It's an honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. You encouraged me today.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 – A BRAVE NEW YEAR

Without question 2020 had its unique ups and downs. It was an extremely challenging year for everyone. Who knew we would all be living through a deadly global pandemic and all the heartache it has brought to our world? Who knew we would be wearing masks whenever we went out in public? It was the first year I have felt safe going into a bank with a mask on. The year 2021 will have its ups and downs too, but psychologically I think the whole world is ready to bid farewell to 2020, and a hearty hello to 2021 and all the hope that it brings. As Captain Kirk from Star Trek would say – “To boldly go where no man (one) has gone before.” I love that. In 2021, wherever God leads me, I want to boldly go there, trusting that He will lead me all the way. FEAR OR FAITH? In 2021 will you boldly walk by faith, or stumble in fear? People who live boldly and courageously are not people who don’t have problems or frightening circumstances in their lives. They’re just people who live by faith instead of

BABY JESUS OR ADULT JESUS?

In the movie  “ Talledega  Nights ,”   Ricky Bobby played by  Will Farrell ,  is sitting a round the  dinner  table with his family  and he’s  praying to “dear sweet  baby Jesus.” His wife says to him , “Honey, you do know that the baby Jesus did grow up to be an adult . Right ?” He replie s , “But I  li k e  the  baby Jesus best.” Why do  so many people like the  baby Jesus  more  than  the  adult Jesus?  I think I know why. I think it’s  because  b aby  Jesus  makes no demands and  doesn’t threaten their   agenda. Adult Jesus demands   one’s  life long allegiance . (Colossians 4:4.)   The nativity scene is very deceptive to our understanding of who Jesus was and what he came to  earth to  do.  There is a commonly accepted depiction of the nativity scene as being serene and peaceful . On the surface it was. However, there was much more happening on that night  around that manger  than we might  realize , b ecause the actual arrival of the b aby Jesus created a huge uproar both i n  he

THE ATTRACTIVE SHINE OF EXCELLENCE

Living a life of excellence makes you attractive, gives you influence, open s  doors  of opportunity  for you , and provides  for  you a platform from which to serve God in everything you do.   Here are some biblical examples of this DAVID  played a musical instrument with excellence ― so excellent ,  in fact ,  that he was brought to the king’s palace to play so that the king would feel better  ( 1  Samuel 16:15-17) .  It worked, and it pleased the king greatly. David’s skill and excellence as a musician ended up being the first step  in him eventually becom ing  the king himself . H e would go on to influence  numerous generations  for God. In fact, through his lineage ,  the  Savior of the world  would be born. And it all started with his  skill and  excellence  at playing a lyre . I’ll bet it took a lot of practice and commitment. SHADRACH, MESHACH,  and  ABEDNEGO  were gifted with excellence  “ten times better than all the other servants” i n King Nebuchadnezzar’s kingdom ( 1 Samu